I asked earlier today my friends, followers and running buddies to send links of any people and companies that are fundraising in the build up to the Dubai Marathon, which is in less than two weeks (23rd January, 2015) and got several responses. I also looked up a couple of them on Twitter and came across a few people.
Here’s the list of these great people and companies (yours truly excluded) who are aiming to make the world a slightly better place. If you know someone who is raising funds and awareness at the race (Or at any other race really) please let me know in the comments section and I will be more than glad to feature them here and/or on my pages. Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen 🙂
- Maria Conceicao is fundraising for her foundation, the Maria Cristina Foundation. For more details visit: http://mariacristinafoundation.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/MariaCristinaFoundation. She focuses on fundraising for children and adults in improvised countries by focusing on education. Maria has participated in several initiatives and fundraising activities in the past and is well-known for her philanthropy work.
- The Palestinian Children Relief Fund (PCRF) are going to be at the Dubai Marathon as usual. To find out more and to support visit http://www.pcrf.net/. Keep up to date with their year round initiatives on Twitter at @PCRF_UAE
- Peter Vanderwal (@pvanderwal on Twitter) is raising funds for Syrian refugees. Find out more via the #SalamYaSeghar hashtag on Twitter and donate at https://www.justgiving.com/GRMFuturesGroup/
- I (Omar Abu Omar, @omardxb on Twitter) am fundraising for Medical Aid for Palestinians. As part of my own fundraising initiative I am donating a dirham for every kilometer covered in training. For donations visit justgiving.com/OmarAO and check the #1DirhamKM hashtag on Twitter and/or Instagram
- Melanie Wilkinson (@melsherie) is raising funds and awareness for brain tumor research, inspired by her brother. To support her noble cause and efforts, visit https://www.justgiving.com/tumournator/
- Dennis (@RunDenBoyRun) is running the Dubai Marathon with a gas mask (!). He is doing this for the Motor Neurone Disease Association. To support Dennis in his unusual attempt, visit: https://www.justgiving.com/DennisDubaiMarathon/
- Louise Ajala is fundraising for the Cardiotherapy Association, the Chris Ajala Tribute Fund. She set up the charity in memory of her late husband. To support Louise visit the blog that she set up with the help of her cousin: http://the555challenge.com/
- Jane Shaddick-Brady is raising money for the Eve Appeal, which raises funds for better detection and improved treatment of all five gynecological cancers to save women’s lives. Link: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=JSB
- David is running seven marathons in seven days (!) and one of them is the Dubai Marathon. He’s fundraising to the Sunbeam Children’s Foundation, and you can donate and support him here: https://www.justgiving.com/world-marathon-challenge. Go David!
- Katie Nykanen is running and collecting donations for the Shamida Children’s Home in Adis Ababa in Ethiopia. They help abandoned children find adoptive families based in Dubai or around the world. She has adopted 4 children herself, this is a cause that’s clearly very close to her heart. To help Katie and more Ethiopian children, visit: http://www.gofundme.com/shamidabv
- Dubai Holding are supporting the UAE-based Al Jalila Foundation and donations can be made here: https://www.justgiving.com/DH-DubaiMarathon2015/
- Hind Anabtawi (@Hindhood on Twitter) and students of AUD (American University in Dubai) are fundraising for the Palestinian Association for Children’s Encouragement of Sports (PACES – @PacesCharity on Twitter). You can support them here: https://www.justgiving.com/LovingPaces/
- Four brave (and somewhat crazy, but in a good way) athletes are running at the Dubai Marathon as part of their training for running 7 full marathons in 7 days in 7 continents. They are fundraising for the King Hussein Cancer Foundation in Jordan. You can find out more about their initiative and crazy adventure here: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/KHCF/OmniAthletes