On Saturday night, we had our first Suhoor Run in Dubai, which is a social and a fitness gathering for running and general fitness and wellness enthusiasts in the city. The idea is to meet for a light work out, followed by a small snack at the restaurant or cafe that the run started at. The runners are also more than welcome to donate water/beverages/food from that place and/or any nearby supermarkets to hand them to people (e.g. janitors, cleaners, laborers etc.) and/or leave them at a nearby mosque or Ramadan Fridge.
For the first run, we started at Al Reef Bakery on Al Wasl Road, jogged/walked towards the canal before gathering again at Al Reef for manakeesh, pictures and to get food/beverages to give away. More than twenty runners joined the run, which I personally enjoyed (Hope the fellow runners did, but I cannot talk on their behalf :p)
For anyone who would like to join the upcoming runs, you can find out more details at each run’s Facebook event from the list below and/or via my Instagram account at @OmarDXB or on Twitter (Same handle – @OmarDXB)
Dates, locations and links to the corresponding Facebook event:
Tuesday May 22nd at 9:45 PM – Meet outside Heat Cafe on Beach Road
Sunday May 27th at 9:45 PM: Meet outside Zaroob in Dubai Marina (https://www.facebook.com/events/785038365023386)
Wednesday May 30th at 9:45 PM: Meet outside Aroos Damascus restaurant on Al Muraqqabat Road in Deira (https://www.facebook.com/events/206589496736665/)
Monday June 4th at 9:45 PM: Meet outside Al Mallah Restaurant on Diyafa Road AKA. 2nd of December Road (https://www.facebook.com/events/220698405356110/)
Saturday June 9th at 10:15: Meet outside the old Al Safadi Restaurant on Sheikh Zayed Road – Next to Dusit hotel (https://www.facebook.com/events/1949759701911225/)
Tuesday June 12th at 9:45 PM: Meet outside Falafel Factory in Mirdif (https://www.facebook.com/events/2519406818283536/)
More details on the runs are provided below:
– We meet at the stated time of the session for the brief. Run starts after 15 minutes from the stated starting point.
– Social run/walk for 5-7k (You can jog and/or walk it), so fitness enthusiasts of all abilities can join.
– After the run, you are free to pass by a mini market/supermarket to donate water/juice/snacks to a nearby mosque, street cleaners, janitors, and/or Ramadan fridges etc. (this is NOT compulsory).
– An optional light snack/suhoor to follow at the restaurant/café (At the same meeting point, which is paid separately by each runner). The run is optional as well if you prefer to meet and eat instead of running.
– Feel free to organize your own #SuhoorRuns (or even #SuhoorSwims or#SuhoorRides) with your own group/in your own city. This is not a social gathering that is limited to me and/or Dubai 🙂
– This is NOT to market and to promote any restaurants in any way, however, if any restaurants/cafes want to support these runs (and to give something to charity), then they’re more than welcome to do so.
I started a Whatsapp group for this to help with sharing details for future runs, to join the group, DM me with your name and number and I will be more than glad to add you accordingly. DM via Instagram at @OmarDXB or on Twitter (Same handle – @OmarDXB).