Listing some tips for keeping fit and sane that I’m trying to follow during the quarantine. Do you have any tips of your own? Feel free to share them in the comments!
1. Started using an app called Seven again. It has countless workouts that can be done at home without equipment (A chair and table for some workouts). The premium version is worth the investment.
2. Doing at least two live classes per week, usually with Adidas Runners Dubai, who broadcast the workouts live on their Facebook page. Pretty much most gyms, studios and PTs have been posting exercises regularly on Instagram, with some posting on YouTube and Facebook live.
3. Eating more greens and reducing my intake of red meat.
4. Making dinner my lightest meal of the day.
5. Reducing sugar intake. I normally don’t drink coffee or tea with sugar, but if you do, try to reduce it gradually (e.g. one teaspoon of sugar instead of two, or half a spoon instead of one (Or replace sugar with honey).
6. Trying not to have tea or coffee after 2 PM.
7. Eliminating all unhealthy snacks, I gave away all the snacks (even the “low fat” stuff) I had and replaced them with fruits, nuts etc.
8. Prioritizing sleep as much as possible. When the lockdown started, I used to sleep for less than 6 hours on average, now I’m trying to bring that average up to be at least 7-8 hours. Sleep deprivation has serious negative consequences on concentration levels, metabolism, mood amongst many other areas.
Want to improve your performance? Recover better by sleeping more.
9. Reducing consumption of all fizzy drinks, juices etc.
10. Drinking three liters of water a day at least.
11. Meditating for three to five minutes a day (Check out the Headspace or Calm apps).
12. Going on short runs that are within the parking lot of the building I’m staying in at the moment, with short intervals (e.g. 30 seconds of running followed by 30 seconds of recovery for 30+ times) to keep up the intensity.
13. Reading Quran, reading non-fiction books/listening to audiobooks, going through some football magazines that I did not get to read (Interesting to read them months later) etc.
14. Zoom calls to catch up with family and friends whenever our schedules permit.
15. Cleaning up social media (thank goodness for the mute button), leaving or muting Whatsapp groups that add no value etc.
16. Catching up on some Netflix series that I started but never finished and watching interesting Tedx talks.
17. Being patient and mindful, remembering that change takes time and that we are in uncharted territory. Controlling what one can control is crucial.